Friday, March 26, 2010

March Madness - R.I.P. Xterra

As if this month wasn't busy enough (possible complete life change from house dad to working father, daughter in the hospital...), there was a huge problem with ice this morning on the freeway. Apparently everyone BUT the state decided it was a good idea to salt with the surprise snow last night, so the Interstate was left unsalted, and completely iced over; but they had ALL NIGHT to figure it out. I believe I'll be filing a claim on this one, blatant neglect. In any case, my wife hit an ice patch on a bridge, had no control, went into the center media, and because of the guardrail there, rolled it over. She called me at 6 am to say she rolled the Xterra and was fine. She really was fine, too except for some mild shock. Just a little soreness from the seatbelt. It was a very calm roll-over. So the vehicle is totaled, we believe. It was ("was" ... funny I should say that already), IS 10 years old and has 150k miles on it, so it has served us well. Michel was rather attached to the vehicle.

Unfortunately the police had it towed before I could get there and take pics of it inverted(I discovered this when I called the tow truck driver who reported that it wasn't there anymore).

So... yeah... interesting.

We spent the evening "decompressing" by sitting on the couch with our laptops eating sweets and investigating what her next car will be. Surprisingly, Michel is looking a LOT at the Audi A3 Quattro! (Yay me!) We're not looking at new, but used, '06 models as they're a bit cheaper, but still pricey. Another option is the Nissan Rogue and Murano, a bit cheaper, and less cool, but will serve our needs.

This email was waiting in my inbox, sent at about the same time I was trying to get the right police on the phone (apparently this stretch of the I-675 isn't supported by the Highway patrol, but by SEVEN different local police forces...). This is between two folks discussing my potential hire:

[hr]
Andrew,
Thanks for sending. I'm thinking these new rated civilian positions may be
a fit.
Thanx,


Jon

-----Original Message-----
Subject: candidate for civilian hire

Jon,
Here is the resume for Jon Allain we discussed earlier. Jon may be sending
an updated resume soon.

Please consider.

Thanks!
[hr]

the pics:
RIP Xterra
RIP Xterra
RIP Xterra

Here's the road surface even 2 hours later, still no salt, still a ton of ice, cars still going off everywhere. Shortly after this picture the first salt truck went by on the OTHER side. You can still see her tire tracks in the ice!
Photobucket


Here's where she hit the guardrail and rolled, going backwards:
Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home