Tuesday, April 22, 2008

So it's... that is... I'm... I mean... we're... done.

First I'd like to say thanks to those of you who offered words of support and/or advice before I did this. It has been another interesting experience in a couple of ways that I will describe.

Second, I'd like to put a disclaimer here: if this stuff makes you uncomfortable, read with care, or in little spurts, or not at all. You can always try putting your head between your knees and... you know what? if you can't handle this, you need to get you a pair. I'm not getting too deep into it... like feeling him tugging at times... hehe - let's move on...

Third, all of this reminds me of this video from the movie Johnny Dangerously, especially when i see how swollen things can be down there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukOaQLKjLyE

So the appointment was supposed to be at noon. The day before they called and moved it to 2:15pm. That's not a big deal considering I don't exactly have the most strict of schedules. I was feeling slightly apprehensive about the whole thing, and even now I feel a slight twinge of loss on occasion. However, when I was laying on the table, shaved and twice-sterile (I moved the cloth to cover me when the nurse opened the door, and they had to sterilize me again) I had no reservations. I felt quite calm and relaxed. I was slightly nervous about the shot, because I wasn't sure how much it might hurt to have a needle stuck in my scrotum. Twice. That turned out to be no worse than a needle stuck anywhere else. The pain was yet to come. Not a whole lot, but as men know, pain in that area has this weird way of climbing up the abdomen.

A little backstory. I have always been quite resistant to analgesics. I usually double the recommended dosage of headache medicine just to touch the pain. 4 ibuprofen instead of two. 4 aspirin, instead of two. etc. Maybe that's not that abnormal, but anything less just doesn't do it for me.

Ironically I saw how much anasthesia he was putting in the needle, and asked if he was putting all of that in there. He said rather quickly, "Oh no! It's just in case." I said, "I don't think it will all fit." We all chuckled about that...

So he puts the first bit in on the right side. Little pinch, little burn. Then he IMMEDIATELY gets to work. I don't feel anything at first, then a good bit of pain that goes right up my abdomen. I tell him to stop. He puts in more anasthesia. At this point I am now a bit pale and lightheaded. It hurt a bit. That wasn't supposed to happen. It's very unusual, because everything is where it should be (he told me that some guys have 3 vas deferens, or 1, or there are two but not where they're supposed to be: it's enough of an issue that they send the cut pieces of the vas deferens to a lab to make sure they ARE the vas deferens). So the free-roaming nurse put a cool wet cloth on my forehead, which helped immensely. There were a couple of times past that when I felt some slight twinges of pain, but he put enough anasthesia in the rest of the time where I didn't really feel much more. Nothing coming close to that first bit of pain that ended up feeling like I'd been kicked in the groin (rather gently) because the pain inched up my pelvis.

Other than that, everything went fine. We continued joking and having a good time (relative term). I was still a little light-headed and woozy at the end when I sat up
to get dressed, so I took my time, washed my hands with cool water and sat down for a bit until I was sure everything would be fine.

They gave me some percocet for the pain, and some antibiotics to fight a possible infection. I used up the last of the pain meds yesterday, so today I'm getting a bit more of an idea of just what kind of discomfort my body is dealing with. I feel a bit sore, and there's some bruising, all of which is normal. So I'm keeping the frozen peas in place and I've shifted to ibuprofen for the bits of pain which is now where my thigh meets my pelvis.

It's kind of tough in that I have to keep moving around to keep up with the kids and the responsibilities I cannot defer. It's also more difficult to get motivated to take care of things beyond necessity.

So what if we change our minds and want more kids? you may ask... there's always adoption. It's what we were planning many years ago, so it's not that far beyond the realm of possibility. Besides, there are tons of children out there that could use a family like ours. We've replaced ourselves in the gene pool, we have a boy and a girl, and we've met our quota of 2-3 kids; so there's nothing more we really need from reproduction.

On to more enjoyable sex in the future!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home